Thursday, June 11, 2009

Closer, but not quite...

Here's an entry I wrote this afternoon:

I'm on a plane now from Atlanta to Salt Lake City, and though it was supposed to have Wi-Fi on board, that doesn't seem to be the case, which is unfortunate because my flight from Salt Lake to Narita has probably been canceled. There were conflicting opinions on this issue. All I have to say is that this is quite the auspicious start to my adventure. It's okay, though. All will work out, I'm sure. At least I have an aisle seat on this plane. Which totally makes up for the baby sitting in front of me. Sure.

Despite these travel misadventures, I'm getting quite excited about China. I've been sitting here practicing my characters--it's disappointing how fast I've forgotten. They'll all come back, though. Right?

Oh gumdrops, we're landing. I'd rather not actually, if that means I have to go find out my flight has been cancelled. It would have been nice if they had told me before...well, they haven't yet. The friendly Delta man said it was all on schedule. I'll hope he's right and the internet is wrong.

Well, turns out the internet was right. My flight was cancelled, and now I'm in a hotel in Salt Lake City. I was pretty pissed off about this at first for obvious reasons. Changing everything logistically was a pain. By the time I made it to my room (this hotel is a labyrinth, and moreover there's a muscular dystrophy conference happening, and the hallways are clogged with children and wheelchairs.) I made it exactly this far before dropping everything:


Then I de-stressed in the greatest way possible:


And admired the scenery. And some factory/office-like buildings:



I think the dramatic sky really reflects my inner feelings. Oh sure.

And now I'm writing this. With any luck I'll be in China tomorrow. Or at least Tokyo. Baby steps.

5 comments:

  1. The good news is: You got all the bad stuff out of the way up front! Seriously, that's a pain. I had a connection cancelled in Japan on my to China once (I speak Korean!), so at least you got stuck in a semi-familiar world.

    Looking forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get stuck in Tokyo...slumber party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3! Have fun in China! Come visit Elliot and me in Hakodate though---they have soooo much squid stuff here =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG GUESS WHAT.

    So my friends Milly who was here JYing with us, actually lives in BEIJING and she said I should totally hook you guys up if you wanted that to happen. So let me know. If you want that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that picture of you jumping on the bed is fantastic

    -kk

    ReplyDelete